SHORT HAIR


As most of you know, I’ve recently had a pretty dramatic change in hair-style. This is probably the most dramatic thing I have ever done or ever will do to my hair. There, are so many things about short hair that people just don’t tell you before you get a dramatic haircut, because they’re things you don’t really think about. So I’m here to talk about them.


#1. TIME IN FRONT OF THE MIRROR

Okay so first off I just want to say, the idea that people with short hair have the benefit of not needing to spend as much time on it, is a complete myth that I am here to bust! I’ve found that I spend about twice as much time doing my hair than I did when I had long hair. When it was long I could just pop it up into a pony-tail if I wanted a quick and easy fix. Now, it has to be combed and hair-sprayed and adjusted. There is no easy fix to a bad hair day with short hair!


#2. SLEEPING

You wouldn’t think it, but short hair really affected my ability to get to sleep for the first week. Because I usually put my hair up in a bun or down in a braid, my head just wasn’t used to the way my new short hair felt on the pillow. It’s such a strange thing that I never thought the length of my hair would make a difference to, but it did. I’m fully adjusted to it now though :)


#3. BED HAIR
This is something that I NEVER had to worry about with long hair. I would always wake up with dead straight hair, no matter how much I tossed and turned the night before. But the first morning I woke up with short hair I went into the bathroom and completely shocked myself. My FIRST ever bed-hair. It’s something to adjust to, and I’m discovering new ways to fix the bed-hair for work, I find the best one is just to have a shower so the hair can re-set.


#4. THE FEELING

Having very short hair, especially after having very long hair, feel so strange. It kind of feels like I've got my hair up. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to take my hair down before bed and suddenly realized that it wasn’t up, it was just short. It feels great though.


#5. SHOWERS

Oh. My. Gosh I will save so much money on shampoo. The first time I had a shower after my haircut (and to be honest the third and fourth as well) I put WAY too much shampoo into my hair and lathered the hell out of my poor head. You only really need about as much as a 20c piece. It's also so much quicker to dry my hair now, what used to take a minimum of 15 minutes, now takes me about 5 minutes maximum.

#6. HAIR IN THE EYES
One big plus, however, is that I don't get hair in my eyes anymore, which means things like running, making coffee and just general movement, are no longer subject to constant intrusion of stray hairs! And I don't need to wear those painful head-bands that give me head-aches. 

#7. OPTIONS
It is semi-true that having short hair does limit you somewhat, but that doesn't mean you can't get creative. Head-scarves, mini-braids, hair-spray, all still options that I have. I've been exploring all the different kinds of ways I can style my hair. Fringe up, fringe down, teased up... Having short hair does limit you, but it also forces you to get inventive :) 

There are pros and cons to having your hair cut this short, but all in all I love it! It does restrict the amount of things you can do with it, and yes I do miss braids, but I love the way it looks, and the way it feels. I’m definitely glad I made this change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment